Monday, June 21, 2010

Mountainous Plains And Such

Remember how much fun it is to spend the weekend up in the Uintas with your amazing boyfriend who just came back from China? Ya me too. That's why I did it this weekend. Colin and I drove up to the Uintas Friday night, set up camp in a dry area next to an adorable little river. It was an ideal place to stay in Yellow Pine camp ground. After we built a fire, played with our cameras and laser light, we realized that our camp was beginning to flood. Water was slowly rising up around the campfire and down to our tent. Luckily we had enough room to move our tent closer to the car where it was dry and avoided a cold wet night. After delicious veggie burgers and some bbq chips we decided to retire to the tent to look at the stars. We fell asleep quickly and I woke up in the middle of the night with a queasy stomach. I had to make my way through the dark to a rock as I threw up...not the best part of the trip! But I quickly felt better. The next day I woke up refreshed, waited for Colin to wake up, went to the washroom, waited for Colin to wake up, sat by the river, checked if Colin had woken up, then decided to make a small raft with sticks, random I know. Colin woke up in the midst of my awkward raft building and tried to ignore it before he couldn't anymore and decided to help set it on fire when we released Jeremiah, the stick man, and his raft down the mighty Mississippi for his river boat adventures.
Then we packed up camp, ate breakfast and headed out to go for a hike. We finally found a good dirt road up to a trail head, but little did we know that the road was mostly rocks. Sharp, jagged, bumpy rocks, with a large cliff to one side of the road. So as I held onto my water bottle for fear of tumbling down the mountain, we made our way up to the trail head. 10 minutes later, and in no sight of the trail head, we decided to pull to the side of the road and walk the rest of the way up. We walked and walked and still didn't see the trail, so we made our own. Through the woods, over the river and up to the top of a mountain where we laid on rocks out in the sun. An hour or so passed and we decided to head down due to our hunger. We ate lunch at a picnic area, hung out on a bridge, dangling our feet over the river, then headed down back to Salt Lake. We showered, applied layers of aloe vera lotion to our bodies, got salads from Whole Foods, uploaded pictures, and watched Fargo. A Perfect end to an even more perfect weekend. Minus the sunburns.

No comments: