Monday, April 12, 2010

"I'm dying of boredom," Howl said pathetically. "Or maybe just dying."-Wizard Howl

After finding out one of my favourite movies is a book, I knew I had to read it. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones is a lot like the film adaptation by Hayao Miyazak. The book, of course, goes into more detail about the characters personalities and pasts which made me like them even more. Here is a little synopsis about the book...
A girl names Sophie Hatter, the eldest of three girls, realizes that she will have no chance of finding her fortune and accepts that she will have a dull life running the family hat shop, until she is turned into an old lady by the Witch of the Waste. A powerful witch who has mistaken Sophie for her sister, the current love interest of Wizard Howl. Sophie leaves the shop and finds work as a cleaning lady for the notorious Howl, who is a legend in Sophie's town for eating the hearts of beautiful young women. She finds herself frustrated but fascinated by Howl and his companions, Michael his apprentice and Calcifer his fire demon. Throughout their adventures of trying new spells, vigorous cleaning and running a flower shop, they all become somewhat of a family. And Howl suggests they live happily ever after.Its one of those books I need to buy because I know I will read it over and over again. I'm in love with the characters and all the unique magical items and spells Jones has put in her book, along with the well thought out landscapes and interesting towns. I enjoyed this book so much I'm now reading the sequel House of Many Ways. I'm only three chapters in and already I'm hooked!

-Pictures are from the film

No comments: